(Not so) funny problems with xorg-7.4 autodetection

Robert Noland rnoland at FreeBSD.org
Tue Jan 27 20:17:38 PST 2009

On Tue, 2009-01-27 at 20:17 -0600, Rick Voland wrote:
> I, too, am having trouble with autodetection with xorg-7.4.
>
> After I type "startx", I see the usual blank, then text, then blank, but
> X stops at a blank screen.  It does not respond to cntl-alt-backspace,
> and only sometimes responds to the power-off button.
>
> I attach a tar file that contains output from dmesg, pciconf,
> xorgconfig, and Xorg.0.log.

The attached log does not indicate any input devices.  So either it is
hanging just before it reaches that stage or hald and dbus are not
running, or at least have not had adequate time to finish initializing.

X -configure is the preferred way to generate a config these days.
xf86config is going away, it may already be gone in server 1.6, but I'm
sure it is already gone in master.

The I915 should be fine, though the configless log seems a bit strange.
I'll should have access to a 915gm based dell this weekend to check
that.

If the above is of no help, you could try to ssh in from another machine
and see if you can tell what is going on, or better yet attach to the
Xorg process with gdb and get a backtrace.

robert.