xdm monitor selection

Robert Noland rnoland at FreeBSD.org
Tue Jan 27 15:40:28 PST 2009

On Tue, 2009-01-27 at 16:24 -0700, Warren Block wrote:
> On Tue, 27 Jan 2009, Yuri Pankov wrote:
>
> > On Mon, Jan 26, 2009 at 08:08:23PM -0700, Warren Block wrote:
> >> Is there a way to tell xdm which monitor of a dual-monitor setup to use
> >> for the login screen?
> >
> > I had to set xlogin.Login.{x,y,width,height} for Login window to appear
> > on my second monitor - I'm using dual DVI output NVIDIA card with nv(4)
> > and screen size set to 2560 x 1024.
> >
> > /usr/local/lib/X11/xdm/Xresources contents:
> > xlogin.Login.x: 1620
> > xlogin.Login.y: 492
> > xlogin.Login.width: 600
> > xlogin.Login.height: 240
>
> That works, although the mouse pointer is still on the other screen.  I
> came up with a patch to xdm to fix that, but there's more that should be
> done.  I'd like to add a setting for a monitor or screen, but don't know
> if there's an existing keyword to use.

I may be a bad example, as I'm running server 1.6rc and rc xrandr bits
as well, but it seems to me that gdm is coming up on whichever display
that I have the mouse on.  For me the mouse initially starts out
centered in my framebuffer... This is all anecdotal actually, I haven't
had time to look at the code...

robert.