latest xOrg, hald, german keyboard

Daniel Bye danielby at slightlystrange.org
Tue Jan 27 14:45:35 PST 2009

On Tue, Jan 27, 2009 at 08:46:20PM +0100, Christian Jachmann wrote:
> Hello List,
>
> I've updated to latest XOrg,
> introduced the hald and stopped moused.
>
> After restarting X, my keyboard layout is still "us".

Yep, just been through this myself.

A little time with Google found on a Fedora forum, this little
snippet:

<deviceinfo version="0.2">
  <device>
    <match key="info.capabilities" contains="input.keyboard">
      <merge key="input.xkb.layout" type="string">gb</merge>
    </match>
  </device>
</deviceinfo>

Save it as /usr/local/etc/hald/fdi/policy/x11-input.fdi

In your case, you'll want the appropriate keyboard layout name ("de",
at a guess) instead of "gb". Restart hald and start X again. You should
now have your German layout again.

It seems there are all sorts of other things you can do here, but I
haven't yet spent any quality time with it!

Dan

--
Daniel Bye
                                                                     _