Xorg 7.4 keyboard/terminal problem

lhecking at users.sourceforge.net lhecking at users.sourceforge.net
Thu Feb 26 15:19:58 PST 2009

 I decided to give Xorg 7.4 another go and I'm getting a bit further now
 than a few weeks ago. Not needing an xorg.conf file is nice, but I suppose
 it is still needed if one wants to use xfs or the nvidia driver.

 The nvidia driver (180.29) makes the system near unusable. While X runs and
 the familiar gnome desktop pops up after login, gnome-terminal doesn't run,
 and I didn't try any other apps then:

The program 'gnome-terminal' received an X Window System error.
The error was 'BadName (named color or font does not exist)'.
  (Details: serial 275 error_code 15 request_code 45 minor_code 0)
The program 'gnome-session' received an X Window System error.

 The nv driver works a lot better in this regard, but there are a few
 interesting features: none of the diacritics (accent characters) work
 as expected, even though X+hal seem to figure out that I have a "gb"
 keyboard. Many of these keys need two keypresses for some character to
 appear, and it's not necessarily what I expect.

 Backtic, caret and tilde ` ^ ~ need two keypresses to appear.
 Pressing the UK pound sign ? key onces creates a literal "\c2\a3".
 Single and double quote ' " need two keypresses and they create a
 literal "\c2\b4" and "\c2\a8", resp. (not sure about the exact hex
 values as they are represented differently on the Linux system I'm
 typing this on).

 FreeBSD 7.1, current ports, gnome 2.24.