SOLVED: Re: xdm -debug 1 => Nothing left to do, exiting

Anton Shterenlikht mexas at bristol.ac.uk
Tue Feb 17 08:58:54 PST 2009

On Tue, Feb 17, 2009 at 04:30:49PM +0000, Anton Shterenlikht wrote:
> On Fri, Feb 13, 2009 at 10:13:08AM +0000, Anton Shterenlikht wrote:
> > On 6.4-stable alpha I cannot get xdm to become a daemon, it exits
> > immediately with empty /var/log/xdm.log.
> >
> > I tried to use -debug option, and this is the output:
> >
> > # xdm -debug 1
> > DisplayManager.errorLogFile/DisplayManager.ErrorLogFile value  /var/log/xdm.log
> > DisplayManager.daemonMode/DisplayManager.DaemonMode value true
> > DisplayManager.pidFile/DisplayManager.PidFile value  /var/run/xdm.pid
> > DisplayManager.lockPidFile/DisplayManager.LockPidFile value true
> > DisplayManager.authDir/DisplayManager.authDir value /usr/local/lib/X11/xdm
> > DisplayManager.autoRescan/DisplayManager.AutoRescan value true
> > DisplayManager.removeDomainname/DisplayManager.RemoveDomainname value true
> > DisplayManager.keyFile/DisplayManager.KeyFile value  /usr/local/lib/X11/xdm/xdm-
> > keys
> > DisplayManager.accessFile/DisplayManager.AccessFile value  /usr/local/lib/X11/xd
> > m/Xaccess
> > DisplayManager.exportList/DisplayManager.ExportList value
> > DisplayManager.randomDevice/DisplayManager.RandomDevice value /dev/urandom
> > DisplayManager.greeterLib/DisplayManager.GreeterLib value /usr/local/lib/X11/xdm
> > /libXdmGreet.so
> > DisplayManager.choiceTimeout/DisplayManager.ChoiceTimeout value 15
> > DisplayManager.sourceAddress/DisplayManager.SourceAddress value false
> > DisplayManager.willing/DisplayManager.Willing value  su -m nobody -c /usr/local/
> > lib/X11/xdm/Xwilling
> > Nothing left to do, exiting
> > #
>
> Looking at "xdm -debug .." logs on the net it seems the next line after the
> Willing should be
>
> 	creating socket 177
>
> Perhaps xdm exits because it cannot create socket 177?
> Is that plausible? How can I test this?

I think the xdm-config file got overwritten during the port upgrade with the
default (secure?) settings. I had to comment out the last setting in xdm-config

% tail -3 /usr/local/lib/X11/xdm/xdm-config
! SECURITY: do not listen for XDMCP or Chooser requests
! Comment out this line if you want to manage X terminals with xdm
!DisplayManager.requestPort:    0
%

now seems to be working fine.

--