ports/131124: x11/xorg - New xorg 7.4 hangs until mouse is moved when AllowEmptyInput turned off

Robert Noland rnoland at FreeBSD.org
Fri Feb 6 16:21:28 PST 2009

On Fri, 2009-02-06 at 16:27 -0500, Joe Marcus Clarke wrote:
> [...]
> >>
> >>  After plug in mouse gehaviour BEGAN CONVENTIONAL. This can be
> >> recommended as workaround.
> >>
> >>  Notice:
> >>  1. After plug out mouse cursor may still disappeared. In this case
> >> you can switch to VT0-VT7 terminals, move mouse and switch back to
> >> X session. 2. This advice is provided 'as is' without any
> >> warranties of usefulness, capacity to work with your hardware or
> >> software and other sorts of warranties.
> >>
> >>  IV. After hot  X session restart (without OS and hardware restart)
> >> mouse still work.
> >>
> >>  V. Other cases:
> >>  Hot plug out and plug in mouse in text mode environment before
> >> start X session.
> >>  Start OS mouseless and plug in mouse before or after start X
> >> session. Hot OS restart after my workaround appliing.
> >>
> >>  In all this cases mouse behaviour was still buggy.
> >>
> >>  I'll be glad if my info help to resolve this problem.
> >

> > A short answer:
> >
> > Please remove "AllowEmptyInput" from your xorg.conf.
> >
> > A longer answer:
> >
> > http://docs.freebsd.org/cgi/mid.cgi?200902041908.50270.jkim
> >
> > A technical answer:
> >
> > Some devices are safe to be opened multiple times and shared by
> > different input drivers (e.g., Linux evdev, I think) and some devices
> > are not (e.g., our sysmouse).
> >
> > Possible solutions (for ports maintainers):
> >
> > - When hald probes mice, exclude all moused users
> > (e.g., /dev/psm0, /dev/ums1, ...) from x11_driver and create a pseudo
> > device UDI for /dev/sysmouse and set x11_driver property if moused(8)
> > is running and /dev/sysmouse is not being used by Xserver.  If
> > Xserver tries to open /dev/sysmouse, then the UDI has to be removed
> > immediately.  When Xserver closes /dev/sysmouse, the fake UDI has to
> > be restored immediately.
> >
> > - Before Xserver starts auto-adding process, send a hint message to
> > hald that the device is configured and enabled by static user
> > configuration if CONFIG_HAL is defined and "AutoAddDevices" or
> > "AutoEnableDevices" is on.  hald (i.e., FreeBSD mouse prober)
> > excludes all sysmouse users from x11_driver and sends ACK/NACK
> > message.  Then, Xserver continues/stops auto-adding process depending
> > on it.
> >
> > - Implement an ioctl command for sysmouse to report actual devices
> > that it is controlling.  Let each input driver veto automagic
> > configuration process if it is being used or unsafe.
> >
> > - Some combinations of the above...
> >
> > The first solution is the least intrusive but it is not bulletproof
> > because of an unavoidable race condition.  The second solution is
> > IMHO, a correct way but it requires Xserver change first.  The third
> > solution is too platform-specific and it requires significant (and
> > ugly) hacks for Xserver and input drivers, I think.
> >
> > Any more ideas?
>
> What about modifying the sysmouse driver to more gracefully handle
> multiple open attempts (e.g. fail on subsequent attempts).  What effect

I think X would be fine with that... That is what happens now with the
psm and ums devices.  At least if they are statically configured and
hald is in use.

robert.

--
Robert Noland <rnoland at FreeBSD.org>