ports/131124: x11/xorg - New xorg 7.4 hangs until mouse is moved when AllowEmptyInput turned off

Robert Noland rnoland at FreeBSD.org
Mon Feb 2 14:55:51 PST 2009

On Tue, 2009-02-03 at 00:46 +0300, Subscriber wrote:
> Firstly, pardon me for my poor English. Let me try to explain what I see.
>
> As you recommended, I attached usb mouse (trivial scroll+2but) to my notebook.
> With external mouse pointing became more easy, but problem still present. I'll
> try to explain deeper: when I simply place finger on touchpad (for moving
> cursor) and then slowly move it, object under cursor catched (for explain,
> letter in thunderbird's list), holded about second and then released, as if I
> do 'tap-n-hold'. After it if I take finger from touchpad, cursor stop blinking
> and then blink just when I move finger again. Move finger - cursor blink once
> or twice, take finger away - cursor stoped. If I try to enter text at this
> moment (in xterm, Terminal, firefox address bar and so on), this text
> displayed only after touching touchpad again.
>
> With external usb mouse I see the same effect - while I move mouse, cursor
> blink and text entered as usual, but if mouse stoped, cursor stoped blinking too.
>
> After several clicking left and right buttons randomly or just several mouse
> moving (I can't discover regularity) cursor 'unfreeze' and text entering
> became independent of mouse moving until I clicking anywhere again.

Ok, this sounds like a problem that I have seen, normally only after
unplugging an external usb mouse and the driver(s) try to recalculate
the button mappings.  I don't have a solution, but what seemed to work
for me, was to click both of the touchpad buttons at once, emulating the
3rd button.  After I did this, everything resumed it's expected
behavior.

robert.