Default configuration for xorg-drivers (WTF?)

Ronald F. Guilmette rfg at tristatelogic.com
Tue Dec 29 23:29:49 UTC 2009

Robert,

Thanks for your quick response.

In message <1262092734.2314.15.camel at balrog.2hip.net>, you wrote:

>> Call me dense, but hope somebody can explain to me how this makes sense.
>
>run "make rmconfig && make config" in the xorg-drivers port.  Your
>config is likely stale.

Hummm... OK.  I learned something today.

So, ah, basically you're telling me that "portsnap fetch update" DOES NOT
flush out old/crusty/outdated port config files, yes?

I confess, that I didn't know that.  (I was under the naive impression
that "portsnap fetch update" made everything lovely, beautiful, and, most
importantly, current.  I guess not.  Oh well.  Forewarned is forearmed.
Thanks for the info.)

As to my other question, I'm still looking for some reassurance:

>> But ummm...... Why is it that in the current up-to-date files relating to
>> the xorg-drivers port, the openchrome driver is, by default, *de-selected*?
>>
>> Should I be worried?
>>
>> Is there something broken about the current openchrome driver?

Is the current openchrome driver safe for mere mortals like me (e.g.
when used with K8M890) ?