ports/137373: x11/libX11: make dependance on x11/libxcb

Carlos A. M. dos Santos unixmania at gmail.com
Mon Dec 21 00:56:11 UTC 2009

On Sun, Dec 20, 2009 at 11:59 AM, Robert Noland <rnoland at freebsd.org> wrote:
> On Sun, 2009-12-20 at 10:11 +0300, Max Brazhnikov wrote:

>> > Ok, I will submit a followup with an new patch.
>>
>> As KDE (and several multimedia ports) maintainer I object to having xcb knob
>> in x11 ports. Turning it off will break plist and/or build of these ports,
>> they does require libx11 compiled with xcb support.
>
> Well, I don't get why anyone would not want it.  I have had discussions
> with other Xorg folk about making it mandatory for X.

Remember that not everybody wants X for running GNOME or KDE. Think
about appliances and kiosks where small footprint counts more than
fancy functionality or even performance. That's what I'm attempting to
do here. I could maintain a private set of customized ports - and have
been doing this, to some extent - but it is much better to put the
options in the regular ports. Also, I'm not the only one interested on
such thing. Look at x11/xorg-minimal, for instance.