[HEADS UP] Experimental 3D HW accel support for Radeon HD 2xxx, 3xxx and 4xxx.

Scot Hetzel swhetzel at gmail.com
Sat Dec 5 08:03:39 UTC 2009

On 12/4/09, Norikatsu Shigemura <nork at freebsd.org> wrote:
> Hi Radeon HD 2xxx, 3xxx and 4xxx users!
>
>         I'm ready to update ports related Mesa3D to 7.6 base, graphics/dri,
>         graphics/libGL*, graphics/libglut, graphics/mesa-demos and
>         graphics/libdrm.  Please see also my attached patch file.  I'll
>         update these as soon as tomorrow.
>
>         Mesa3D 7.6 supports experimental r600 driver, as known as AMD
>         R6xx/R7xx architecture.  I confirmed that it's good works, but
>         buggy on my Radeon HD 4850 environment with 9-current/amd64 and
>         xf86-video-radeonhd-devel.  Please see also [I known problem]
>         section.
>
>         [kernel support]
>         maybe, 7-stable, 8-release(at least 8-stable) and 9-current are OK.
>         http://svn.freebsd.org/changeset/base/196470 (HEAD 2009/08/23)
>         http://svn.freebsd.org/changeset/base/198685 (RELENG_8 2009/10/30)
>         http://svn.freebsd.org/changeset/base/198686 (RELENG_7 2009/10/30)
>
>         [X11 driver support]
>         x11-drivers/xf86-video-ati                      OK
>         x11-drivers/xf86-video-radeonhd         I don't know
>         x11-drivers/xf86-video-radeonhd-devel   OK
>
>         [To enable xorg.conf]
>         Section "ServerFlags"
>                 Option  "AIGLX" "true"
>         EndSection
>
>         [I know a problem]
>         3D accelerated applications like glxgear, compiz display with
>         bluish coloring.  I confirmed git master branch Mesa3D codes,
>         too.  So I consider that this problem wasn't be fixed.
>
>         [Why update to 7.6]
>         I confirmed git master and 7.6, I think these are almost same
>         quality.  So I choose 7.6.

I patched my ports tree, but when I ran portmaster to update the
installed ports, it was unable to download the MesaLib file:

=> Attempting to fetch from
http://heanet.dl.sourceforge.net/project/mesa3d/MesaLib/7.6/.
fetch: http://heanet.dl.sourceforge.net/project/mesa3d/MesaLib/7.6/MesaLib-7.6.tar.bz2:
Moved Temporarily
=> Attempting to fetch from
http://sunet.dl.sourceforge.net/project/mesa3d/MesaLib/7.6/.
fetch: http://sunet.dl.sourceforge.net/project/mesa3d/MesaLib/7.6/MesaLib-7.6.tar.bz2:
Moved Temporarily

I had to add the following to MASTER_SITES in graphics/libGL/bsd.mesalib.mk:

ftp://ftp.freedesktop.org/pub/mesa/${MESAVERSION}/:mesa,glut,demos

Scot