kwin composite w/ opengl on r600?

Mark Atkinson atkin901 at gmail.com
Fri Dec 4 17:52:14 UTC 2009

Robert Noland wrote:
> Actually, I don't see anything odd in this config.  The only thing I can
> point out is that I use the radeon driver rather than radeonhd, but it
> isn't clear to me if that could somehow impact performance in this area.
> The only reason that I know of to use radeonhd currently is if you need
> HDMI audio, otherwise radeon has everything and more.

OK, I learn something every day.   The radeonhd was auto chosen by xorg
-configure.  But there are couple of other reasons it turns out:

* radeonhd-devel conflicts with the xf86-video-ati port, this was my
first 'try to get it working step'
* As I just discovered re-installing the ati port, xrandr and krandrtray
don't get along in xf86-video-ati port.  It resets my crtc 1 setting and
won't allow the optioning of two displays.

Since many Bothans died obtaining the magic xrandr --crtc 1 settings for
this dual display to work, I'm sticking with the radeonhd driver.  :)

> What kernel are you running on?  Any -CURRENT or -STABLE branch should
> have all the needed bits.  If you have a kernel that doesn't have
> r600_blit.c then it will be really slow since the initial code used a
> memcpy before the hardware support was enabled.

running -current.  'fire' and 'glxgears' both run rather speedily (but
those are 3d).   2d is much faster with the head mesa (you can easily
see by dragging big windows around), so I'm going to latch onto the hope
that this is all a kwin problem.

Thanks for your help!