X failed to load modules "xtrap" and "freetype"

Andrew Lankford lankfordandrew at charter.net
Thu Apr 30 04:52:21 UTC 2009

 From my latest  /var/log/Xorg.0.log:

(EE) Failed to load module "fbdevhw" (module does not exist, 0)

I have the xf86-video-fbdev-0.4.0_1 port installed, but my graphics
chipset is Intel  and I also have no xorg.conf.  Is this just some
Linux-specific module that's been hardcoded to be automatically loaded
by the server?

The xtrap and freetype error messages were what prompted me to try
running the server without a config file.   Good that auto-configure
works well enough to be useful, but there are plenty of other problems
with the Intel driver to make up for that.

Andrew Lankford