FreeBSD-amd64 STABLE/xorg7.4 -- System Freeze

Ilias Marinos marinosi at ceid.upatras.gr
Sat Apr 4 13:18:30 UTC 2009

* Robert Noland (rnoland at FreeBSD.org) wrote:
> On Fri, 2009-04-03 at 21:38 +0300, Ilias Marinos wrote:
> > * Robert Noland (rnoland at FreeBSD.org) wrote:

> > > Please set Option "AccelMethod" "EXA" and add Option "DRI" "On".
> > >
> > > robert.
> > >

> > > --
> > > Robert Noland <rnoland at FreeBSD.org>
> > > FreeBSD
> >
> > Unfortunately , the problem remains.Some bright pixels appears at the
> > center of the monitor and the system freezes(sometimes if you press any
> > button it causes a hard reset).
>
> So the only thing that looks interesting in the logs is that MTRR
> failed.  What was the last working revision?
>
> robert.
>

> --
> Robert Noland <rnoland at FreeBSD.org>
> FreeBSD

Hello Robert,

  I am trying to make Xorg stop freezing the system trying various
configurations and drivers but still no success.

  I am running startx in a ssh session, while the same time gathering logs
(kernel messages and Xorg logs).The first startx runs ok without system
freeze but the monitor (a Dell 2709W  connected with the GPU via DVI)
gets in power save mode and suspends(like there is no signal) .From this
state there is no way for the monitor to come back to previous operation
as it doesn't gets signal even if I kill X(coming back to
console).However, the system stays responsive and functional via remote
usage(ssh).You can see the logs (all in one file) gathered here:

	https://marinos.ceid.upatras.gr/~admin/log.0

  The only lines that look suspicious to me are:
exaCopyDirty: Pending damage region empty!(/var/log/Xorg.0.log / last
line)
failed to set mtrr: Invalid argument (startx output)

  After the first startx I kill X and run a second startx.Then a system
freeze happens and no logs can be collected.

  These logs were collected after the X kill:

	https://marinos.ceid.upatras.gr/~admin/log.1

  Is there any way to check what is causing mtrr failure?

Thanks for your time.
Ilias

--
echo "Sysadmin know better bash than english." | sed s/min/mins/ \