Matrox G550 fails dual-head, used to work

Callum Gibson callumgibson at optusnet.com.au
Thu Sep 4 15:16:16 UTC 2008

I'm a bit behind...

On 13Aug08 21:21, Warren Block wrote:
>> Some time ago, xorg changed something and my dual-head stopped working on
>> all my machines.
>>
>> I think the mga driver or xserver is having trouble detecting the second
>> head, though it does display the same desktop as the first head.  Xinerama
>> doesn't appear to work. I built a new xorg.conf, but xrandr only says
>> there's a default output, not two.
}
}If you want dual head on a Matrox card with the latest ported xorg-server,
}you need xf86-video-mga-1.9.100.  That version of the driver was in ports
}for a while, but people using modelines had trouble and it was backed out.
}You can use portdowngrade to get 1.9.100.
}
}Additionally, you need to patch xorg-server so it can read the Matrox video
}BIOS.
}
}G550 with two VGA ports should work, I think.  G550 with DVI, maybe not.

1.9.100 does not support dual DVI properly - you get the second panel
offset. That's because it's missing the necessary code to do it.

As Warren said, 1.4.X doesn't work with dual heads at all.

Apart from trying to work out how to reverse engineer the matrox driver
code and fill in the missing bits (which the maintainer doesn't even seem
to be willing to do), the only other option is to use the linux binary
driver from the ports. This also used to work, and apparently people have
it working under 6.X, but under 7.X you get:

http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/query-pr.cgi?pr=ports/117907

I'm beginning to think this will be the only way to get dual dvi going
for matrox cards, but it seems to involve addressing a problem with the
linuxulator which I don't yet understand.

Callum Gibson @ home
http://members.optusnet.com.au/callumgibson/