drm MSI support

Robert Noland rnoland at FreeBSD.org
Mon Oct 13 14:44:18 UTC 2008

On Fri, 2008-10-10 at 18:53 +0100, Matt Dawson wrote:
> On Saturday 04 October 2008 16:39:21 Robert Noland wrote:
> > When drm loads it will also report that it has enabled MSI.
> >
> > Please send me reports of what chips do/don't work.
>
> Yep, looking good on an X850XT:
>
> drm0: <ATI Radeon R480 X850 XT> on vgapci0
> info: [drm] MSI enabled 1 message(s)
> info: [drm] Setting GART location based on new memory map
> info: [drm] Loading R400 Microcode
> info: [drm] Num pipes: 4
> info: [drm] writeback test succeeded in 1 usecs
> drm0: [ITHREAD]
>
> Pre-MSI
> 8800 FPS in texcyl demo
> 4800 FPS in glxgears
> 602 FPS in terrain demo
> glxs completed OK
>
> With MSI
> 7450 FPS in texcyl demo
> 4450 FPS in glxgears
> 598 FPS in terrain demo
> glxs completed OK

I assume that you are using drm-msi-3.patch?

I'm a little curious why performance seems slightly lower with msi.  We
do have to re-arm the interrupt on radeons.  Is the interrupt shared in
the non-msi case?

> vgapci0 at pci0:3:0:0:     class=0x030000 card=0x0b121002 chip=0x5d521002
> rev=0x00 hdr=0x00
>     vendor     = 'ATI Technologies Inc'
>     device     = 'Radeon X850 Series'
>     class      = display
>     subclass   = VGA
>     cap 01[50] = powerspec 2  supports D0 D1 D2 D3  current D0
>     cap 10[58] = PCI-Express 1 endpoint
>     cap 05[80] = MSI supports 1 message, 64 bit enabled with 1 message
> vgapci1 at pci0:3:0:1:     class=0x038000 card=0x0b131002 chip=0x5d721002
> rev=0x00 hdr=0x00
>     vendor     = 'ATI Technologies Inc'
>     device     = 'Radeon X850 Series - Secondary'
>     class      = display
>     cap 01[50] = powerspec 2  supports D0 D1 D2 D3  current D0
>     cap 10[58] = PCI-Express 1 endpoint
>
> Interrupt request lines:
>     0 (root0)
>     1 (atkbd0)
>     3 (root0)
>     4 (uart0)
>     5 (root0)
>     6 (fdc0)
>     7 (ppc0)
>     8 (atrtc0)
>     9 (acpi0)
>     10-11 (root0)
>     12 (psm0)
>     13 (root0)
>     14 (ata0)
>     15 (ata1)
>     16-19 (root0)
>     20 (atapci2)
>     21 (ohci0)
>     22 (ehci0)
>     23 (atapci1)
>     256 (vgapci0)
>
> Anything else needed or is that enough? I've only tried the X850 out of all of
> my cards, as only this machine has a -CURRENT installed. Also hanging around
> are the Xpress 200 (which doesn't show MSI support in pciconf -lvc so I think
> it may be a pointless exercise), a 9200 and a 9700Pro. If you think it's worth
> it, I'll set up a -CURRENT on the AGP box and test these.

Yes, MSI seems to only be available on PCI-E radeons, so the only point
of testing on these cards is to ensure nothing is broken.

> Sorry for the delay. I had to set up -CURRENT on this box as it looks like it
> will be handy to test these Radeons from time to time.

Yes, particularly for newer chips being on -CURRENT is going to be
helpful.  I can make patches for STABLE in most cases, but I'm already
working with several different repos / code branches, so the quickest
best way to get the new bling is going to be on -CURRENT.

robert.