X pauses until mouse is moved

Kevin Oberman oberman at es.net
Wed Mar 26 06:38:53 PDT 2008

> From: Joe Marcus Clarke <marcus at FreeBSD.org>
> Date: Wed, 26 Mar 2008 01:47:38 -0400

> > > I am seeing about the same thing here. My system is running:
> > > FreeBSD slan.es.net 7.0-STABLE FreeBSD 7.0-STABLE #2: Mon Mar 17 21:39:01 PDT 2008     root at slan.es.net:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/IBM-T43  i386
> > >
> > > What is possibly notable is that I only started seeing this problem
> > > yesterday, right after upgrading to Gnome 2.22. It looks like the Gnome
> > > upgrade triggered something, possibly an interaction with the moused,
> > > sysmouse, or xf86-input-mouse.
> > >
> > > The system is a T43 using the internal keyboard and TrackPoint(tm).
> > >
> > > The Gnome upgrade was pretty smooth with everything building, but
> > > portupgrade complaining about some dependency loops. (I'll report about
> > > this to the Gnome list.)
> >
> > If you follow /usr/ports/UPDATING these loops will go away.  There are
> > no real loops.  It may require you to run pkgdb -fF a few times, though.
> >

> > > This is more than a bit annoying. It also impacts menus and scroll
> > > bars. I plan to drop back to my backup from before the Gnome upgrade.
> > >
> > > I can make config, xorg.conf, and dmesg available, but I can't see
> > > anything odd there.
> >
> > I have a GNOME 2.22 machine with a USB mouse running -CURRENT from March
> > 6 which is not seeing this problem.  I've also seen the issue running a
> > failsafe xterm with no window manager, and no gnome-session.  If the
> > GNOME update introduced this problem, I'm not sure how.
>
> The problem is ConsoleKit.  If console-kit-daemon is running, then
> moused an X get all screwy.  I think this only affects GDM users, and
> may be fixed with my recent GDM commit.  I am now running X with CK and
> moused with no pausing.  Can people seeing this problem confirm if
> you're using GDM?  If not, try starting X AFTER console-kit-daemon, and
> see if that helps.  Note: bland has most likely fixed this bug in very
> recent -CURRENT.

Afraid not. I don't use GDM and I did not have console-kit-daemon
running but still saw the problem. (That was my first guess as to the
cause.)

I'm not sure what starts console-kit-daemon, but it is running just fine
right now. The only change I made to get things working was to remove
the hald_enable from rc.conf.
--
R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer
Energy Sciences Network (ESnet)