X pauses until mouse is moved

Joe Marcus Clarke marcus at FreeBSD.org
Tue Mar 25 09:07:07 PDT 2008

This problem was originally reported on this list on March 5
(http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-x11/2008-March/006077.html).
I am now seeing this on my RELENG_7 and -CURRENT boxes.  Basically, all
interaction with X is temporarily suspended until the mouse is moved.
This only occurs when using /dev/sysmouse (thus when moused is enabled).
If I disabled moused, and use /dev/psm0 directly, the problem goes away.

My i386 RELENG_7 machine was working fine until I updated to:

FreeBSD shumai.marcuscom.com 7.0-STABLE FreeBSD 7.0-STABLE #17: Mon Mar
24 15:32:39 EDT 2008
marcus at shumai.marcuscom.com:/build/obj/build/src/sys/SHUMAI  i386

Prior to that I was running FreeBSD 7.0-STABLE #16: Sat Mar  8 20:07:36
EST 2008.

Also prior to that I had the xorg-server update that was supposed to fix
jerky mouse movement.  That didn't seem to trigger this problem.  I
thought it might have been related to the recent moused fix in RELENG_7,
so I backed out the moused.c changes, but the problem persists.  I also
backed out the recent X mouse driver VT switch fix, but the problem
persists.

At least two other users have described similar problems.  Any
suggestions on what may be causing this?  The only difference I spot in
dmesg relates to CPU clock speed (off by 1/100 of a MHz).  The working
version of FreeBSD had:

CPU: Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU            5140  @ 2.33GHz (2327.52-MHz
686-class CPU)

The current version has:

CPU: Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU            5140  @ 2.33GHz (2327.51-MHz
686-class CPU)

A full (current) dmesg can be found at
http://www.marcuscom.com/downloads/dmesg.shumai .

Joe

--
Joe Marcus Clarke
FreeBSD GNOME Team      ::      gnome at FreeBSD.org