Possibly missing run dependencies with TightVNC's vncserver

andrew clarke mail at ozzmosis.com
Mon Jun 23 09:58:55 UTC 2008

On Sun 2008-06-22 02:03:13 UTC+0930, Wayne Sierke (ws at au.dyndns.ws) wrote:

> I have tightvnc running on a headless machine and see various errors,
> too:
>
>         Couldn't open RGB_DB '/usr/local/lib/X11/rgb'
>         xrdb: not found
>         xsetroot: not found
>
> I ignore them, and tightvnc seems to run ok regardless, at least to the
> extent where I can connect satisfactorily from other machines.

Yes, maybe I wasn't clear in my original message.  vncserver runs
fine, and I can connect to it without trouble, but xterm (and others)
generated errors due to missing components.  I've since created a
minimal xorg.conf after installing the x11/rgb port and it seems all
the errors have disappeared.  And WindowMaker no longer segfaults
after I kill twm and run wmaker.

$ cat /etc/X11/xorg.conf
Section "Files"
	RgbPath      "/usr/local/share/X11/rgb"
	ModulePath   "/usr/local/lib/xorg/modules"
	FontPath     "/usr/local/lib/X11/fonts/misc/"
	FontPath     "/usr/local/lib/X11/fonts/TTF/"
	FontPath     "/usr/local/lib/X11/fonts/OTF"
	FontPath     "/usr/local/lib/X11/fonts/Type1/"
	FontPath     "/usr/local/lib/X11/fonts/100dpi/"
	FontPath     "/usr/local/lib/X11/fonts/75dpi/"
	FontPath     "/usr/local/lib/X11/fonts/URW/"
EndSection

Oddly though, if I delete xorg.conf, the errors don't return.  Some
sort of caching in place, perhaps.

Regards
Andrew