failing to start X on my Core 2 Duo macbook (No devices detected)

Rohit Grover rgrover1 at gmail.com
Wed Jun 18 23:15:54 UTC 2008

On Tue, Jun 17, 2008 at 9:23 AM, Roland Smith <rsmith at xs4all.nl> wrote:

> On Tue, Jun 17, 2008 at 08:23:46AM +1200, Rohit Grover wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > I'm having trouble configuring Xorg on my Core 2 Duo Apple MacBook.
>
>  > Could someone please help me with figuring out what drivers should I be
> > using for my chipset?
>
> You probably need the xf86-video-intel driver. It has replaced the i810
> driver.

Yes, thanks for that, the xf86-video-intel driver worked. I can now start X.

Now I am having trouble getting X to recognize my laptop's trackpad. I have
specified /dev/ums0 as my mouse, but X doesn't work with either the trackpad
or an external USB mouse. I have tried /dev/ums1, /dev/ukbd1, and a few
others based on the  mouse-like devices whose drivers emit messages on the
console at boot time, but still no luck. Could someone please help?

thanks,