Synaptics touchpad working now

Yousif Hassan yousif at alumni.jmu.edu
Tue Jan 22 12:50:48 PST 2008

> How can an IntelliMouse be a synaptics touchpad?

My thoughts exactly.  So I hacked up the kernel, despite warnings to the
contrary inside psm.c ("The order is important, don't mess unless you
know what you're doing").  I modified psm.c so that the device order
search list had synaptics before intellimouse, recompiled, installed the
new kernel, and guess what?  It detected it as a synaptics.  Then the
driver loaded in Xorg when the tunable was set.

Of course, that led to new problems.  The xorg driver loaded, but xorg
complained about needing a default pointing device anyway (I DID have
"CorePointer" set for my synaptics InputDevice so this was ODD).  In
fact, I used the xorg.conf config you sent and the one in the
pkg-message of the synaptics port.  Anyway so Xorg would auto-add a
pointing device of its own volition, and take over /dev/psm0.  Annoying,
meaning the synaptic driver would fail because /dev/psm0 was busy, AND
since the mouse device it added was bogus, I'd have no mouse!  The only
way I could get it to work was to put the Mouse0 InputDevice back in,
but change it to "SendCoreEvents", while the Synaptics one was
"CorePointer".  That allowed the synaptics pad driver to actually start
and stay started (before, the driver would turn off and I'd have no
working pointer).

That would sound like success, except for of course, this didn't enable
ANY of the new functionality I was looking for; it merely did what I'd
always had by default with the auto-detection and no synaptic driver
loaded.  So that also seems to contradict your success... ugh.  What I
really wanted was horizontal scrolling at the bottom of the pad, and
click-lock so you could take your finger off the pad and keep the
"button" clicked and drag around (like in windows).

It's all very odd.  There seems to be problems with the kernel, with the
driver, and/or with xorg - some combination of the above.

I need to bring the kernel "issue" to the proper list, it's not this
one... but hopefully the rest of this email is relevant for this list.

Sorry for the long wind.
Yousif