Synaptics touchpad working now

Yousif Hassan yousif at alumni.jmu.edu
Tue Jan 22 07:08:13 PST 2008

On Mon, 2008-01-21 at 16:38 -0500, Martin Cracauer wrote:

> Could somebody check whether this works for them? pkg-message should
> be edited but I'd like another vote.
>
> Martin

For me, it doesn't work, but I am not so sure that it's because of any
bad info you gave.  It's just not detecting my mouse as a Synaptics
device, even with the loader.conf hint set.  With a verbose boot,
> psm0: current command byte:0065
> psm0: <PS/2 Mouse> irq 12 on atkbdc0
> psm0: [GIANT-LOCKED]
> psm0: model IntelliMouse, device ID 3-00, 3 buttons
> psm0: config:00000000, flags:00000008, packet size:4
> psm0: syncmask:08, syncbits:00

Obviously that means that when X starts, it tries to load the synaptics
module but can't find any synaptics hardware, and therefore the mouse
device won't work.  It could be that it has to do with the device's
hardware IDs or something, and there might be a way to force it, but I
don't know how.  Sorry I can't "vote" or be more helpful as such.  Maybe
the Synaptics hardware in the nx6110 isn't supported by FreeBSD (I'm
running 6.3).  In any case this isn't super-urgent since the default
detection of IntelliMouse allows most of the touch/tap/scroll
functionality to work in X, even with the default xorg input device, so
I never bothered to try synaptics drivers.  Some stuff, like configuring
the scroll area, enabling horizontal scrolling, and touch-tap-lock,
don't work by default, and are nice, so I tried your recommendations.

--Y