Xorg memory leak

Chad Perrin perrin at apotheon.com
Fri Jan 4 00:17:19 PST 2008

On Fri, Jan 04, 2008 at 05:40:14AM +1100, Peter Jeremy wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 02, 2008 at 05:59:28PM -0500, Coleman Kane wrote:
> >It seems that while my terminal window remains relatively small (around
> >80x30 characters), there doesn't seem to be any impact. However, if I
> >drag the window border to expand the size of it (to like 220x70 or
> >something), then it starts to chew up memory from the Xorg process. It
> >can sometimes get so bad as to take ~100MB per second at times. Normal
> >xterm does not seem to exhibit this behavior. One thing that I've
> >noticed is that the memory-eating seems to coincide with the point where
> >the gnome-terminal window's redraw rate starts to lag from the window
> >being far too large.
>
> That's an interesting comment.  Does gnome-terminal have any equivalent
> to the '+s' (synchronous) option on xterm and, if so, does that have any
> effect?
>
> >It won't go back down until Xorg is actually closed.
>
> I think this implies that it's a bug in the X server because otherwise
> the resources would be released when the offending client is closed.

Actually . . . since GNOME is basically just a bunch of shared libraries
plus glue code, most of which are apparently loaded into RAM at any given
time, it's entirely possible it's a GNOME problem.

I oversimplify, but I think you get the gist.

awj @reddit: "The terms never and always are never always true."