Xorg memory leak

Coleman Kane cokane at FreeBSD.org
Wed Jan 2 08:39:03 PST 2008

Hey all,

I'm running into some weird problem where the memory usage of Xorg will
keep increasing and increasing as time goes on. I first noticed teh
problem when I had a long-running process inside of gnome-terminal that
was constantly dumping lines of data to stdout. Eventually the memory
usage of the Xorg process would spiral out of control (Virtual Size in
excess of 6GB). Upon reaching maximum memory utilization, X clients
begin to die with BadAlloc errors and the only way to fix the problem is
to stop Xorg and then restart it.

I can't seem to track down any information on this problem, and I am
curious if anyone here can help me out. I am running the latest
8.0-CURRENT sources, as well as the latest git head of the radeonhd
X.org driver.

I have tried using xrestop to view resource allocation usage, but this
has not shown any indication of resources left dangling.

--
Coleman