Synaptics touchpad working now

martinko gamato at users.sf.net
Tue Feb 12 15:54:02 PST 2008

Martin Cracauer wrote:
> I couldn't make this work before, in case anybody else has this
> problem: In my Thinkpad R40 I have a touchpad that can use the middle
> mouse button (used not to work in PSM mode) and where the right border
> of the touchpad is a scroll control.
>
> I use a Thinkpad R40, FreeBSD-6.3-stable/i386.
>
> Here's what to do:
> - install Xorg-7.3
> - install usr/ports/x11-drivers/synaptics
>
> Follow pkg-message, in particular
>
> 1)
>   - /boot/loader.conf
>     hw.psm.synaptics_support=1
>     and reboot
>
> Then I get
> psm0: <PS/2 Mouse> irq 12 on atkbdc0
> psm0: [GIANT-LOCKED]
> psm0: model Synaptics Touchpad, device ID 0
>
> 2)
>
> Make sure moused doesn't sit on the psm device.
>
> 3)
>
> /etc/X11/xorg.conf:
> Section "InputDevice"
>         Identifier  "pad"
>         Driver      "synaptics"
>         Option      "Device" "/dev/psm0"
>         Option      "Protocol" "psm"
> EndSection
>
> The trick here, and it is not mentioned in pkg-message, is that you
> must not have protocol set to "auto".  The required event device
> doesn't exist.  Forcing protocol "psm" made it work for me.
>
> I now seem to get the full capabilities that I get under Linux when
> using it under X11, but synclient still doesn't work.  synclient seem
> to be hardcoded to use SHM but Xorg under FreeBSD doesn't.
>
> Could somebody check whether this works for them? pkg-message should
> be edited but I'd like another vote.
>
> Martin

Yeah, it works.  Thanks.

And one does not even have to disable CorePointer as pkg-message suggests.

The only unfortunate thing, however, is that one has to disable
moused(8) which renders my touchpad useless in the console. :-/
I wish it could be shared somehow between moused and X11.

Cheers,

Martin