nvidia-driver and shadows

Alexey Dokuchaev danfe at FreeBSD.org
Mon Dec 29 12:50:55 UTC 2008

On Wed, Oct 29, 2008 at 08:17:10PM +0100, Nikola Le??i?? wrote:
> Hello,

Hi, and sorry for awfully belated reply.

> I'm curious what is the idea behind
>
> @exec mv -f %D/%%MODULESDIR%%/libwfb.so %D/%%MODULESDIR%%/XXX-libwfb.so.%%%%.%%XSERVVERSION%% && ln -sf libnvidia-wfb.so.1 %D/%%MODULESDIR%%/libwfb.so
>
> in ports/nvidia-driver/pkg-plist? If this is so, there is no way to get
> shadows working in Emerald. If I revert the situation, i.e. set the link
> like this manually:
>
>   libwfb.so -> XXX-libwfb.so.%%.xorg-server-1.4.2,1
>
> then I have shadows with no obvious ill effect. The same is true for
> driver versions 173 and 177.

Interesting.  FWIW, nVidia creates the symlink libwfb.so -> libnvidia-wfb.so.1
itself (per their Makefiles), the line above is to mimic this behavior
when installing from package.  Have you tried asking on nVidia's official
forums or maillists?

I will certainly conduct more tests myself.

Thanks.

./danfe