"Xorg -config xorg.conf.new" fails. Radeon 7200 not supported?

Neil L. Jackson Neil.Jackson at DAL.CA
Sun Dec 28 07:26:49 PST 2008

I did a first time install of FreeBSD (7.1 RC2) on a machine with an ATI
All-in-Wonder Radeon card (Radeon 7200 AGP (QD)) and an IBM P76 monitor.

Ran "Xorg -configure" and then "Xorg -config /root/xorg.conf.new". The monitor
appeared to go immediately into standby mode (it clicked/boinged and the orange
standby led came on). There is no log or error message from Xorg as I had to
hit the reset button to get out. (Ctrl-Alt-Backspace failed to get me out as
did ^C and a shutdown command.)

Attached is a log produced by "Xorg -logverbose -probeonly -config
/root/xorg.conf.new".

What is my best course to resolve this? Is there more detailed information about
steps to take when X configuration isn't working? Could it be that this
particular card simply isn't supported? Should I try FreeBSD 7.0 or 6.4
instead, or will I likely have the same issue?

Thanks.

Neil.