startx will start X with fvwm but not gnome help

Robert Noland rnoland at FreeBSD.org
Sat Aug 30 01:44:12 UTC 2008

On Sat, 2008-08-30 at 02:32 +0100, NVangogh wrote:
> I have searched the net but cannot find an answer for this.
> I have the latest xorg server pkg installed and configured x11. I have
> the correct driver installed for my system chipset.: xf86-video-intel. I
> am guessing the problem is not with my xorg.conf [cause fvwm works & the
> problem is also repeated on another pc of mine]
>
> The problem is that I cannot seem to startx with any wm other than fvwm
> (this is fine, but i prefer gnome).
>
> this is what i have tried
>
> 1. I have followed the standard procedure: echo "/usr/local/bin/gnome-
> session" > /home/mydir/.xinitrc. On re-booting i try startx and get the
> error i830 Vblank pipe setup failed 0. - x will not start at all.
>
> 2. alternatively - in /etc/rc.conf  gnome_enable="YES".
> The very first time i booted with this, it worked. The next day (today) I
> tried to boot and got the gdm login screen. After entering my details,
> the gnome splash screen appears..but it seems to hang. I left it and it
> was like this for nearly 15 minutes. Eventually my desktop appeared - but
> everything was sluggish & some progs would not start eg i could not even
> open a terminal. After a while the session just terminates and causes a
> re-boot. I have tried this twice and the same thing happens.
>
> 3. Instead of gdm, i have also used the kdm and got the same problem.

Are you running current?  or using my drm update patch?  If the answer
is yes, this sounds like the hang that I am getting on my 965gm.  For
me, it only happens if I restart X.  I'm still looking for the root
cause, but my latest theory is that it is related to the vblank-rework.
I know that their is a problem with during/after vt switch, which is
either a bug in the intel driver or drm.  I'm working with the intel
developers to figure out where is the best place to fix it.

If you are using the latest drm, I'll need some more details to be sure
that the issue you are seeing is the same.  If you are not, then it is
something else...

robert.