Fwd: Complete System Freeze when log out of X session

Rene Ladan r.c.ladan at gmail.com
Wed Aug 27 16:39:17 UTC 2008

Better sent it to the list too.

Rene

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Rene Ladan
Date: 2008/8/27
Subject: Re: Complete System Freeze when log out of X session
To: Robert Noland

2008/8/9 Robert Noland :
> On Tue, 2008-08-05 at 20:12 +0200, Rene Ladan wrote:
>> vangogh schreef:
>> > My laptop has xorg 7.3 on Freebsd 7.
>> > My xorg.conf file has:
>> > Section "Device"
>> >    Identifier "card0"
>> >    Driver "vesa"
>> >    VendorName "S3 Inc"
>> >    BoardName "VT8375 [ProSavage8 KM266/KL266]"
>> >    BusID   "PCI:1:0:0"
>> > EndSection
>> >
>> > Problem is when I log out of gnome my system freezes completely and
>> > control+alt+backspace does not work. The keyboard becomes totally
>> > unresponsive and i must unplug the system to turn it off. I have
>> > searched this problem and seen that posts appear in the archives back in
>> > 2006 about this issue. However, I cannot find any solution. Can someone
>> > please point me in the right direction for a solution to this please?
>> >
>> This sounds slightly familiar.  I sometimes have these freezes too,
>> but when I'm still in xfce4.  Pressing the power knob still works for me,
>> as well as logging in remotely via ssh.  This means that only the screen
>> (which turns black, no backlight on) and keyboard/mouse are frozen.
>>
>> This is with an Asus A6JE, Ati Radeon X1450 running xorg 7.3 with
>> xf86-video-radeonhd 1.2.1.
>
> This sounds more like a gpu crash, or a deadlock in the xserver.  So, I
> don't think that these two cases are the same.  Since you can ssh in,
> have a look at top while it's hung and see what state the xorg process
> is in.  If it is in drmlk2, it's locked.  If that looks ok, then it's
> probably a gpu crash, if you set sysctl hw.dri.0.debug=1 you will
> probably see a lot of radeon_cp_idle and timeout calls.

My laptop (panel/keyboard) froze again last night when I was quitting xfce4.
I'm currently logged in over ssh. top/ps show no X processes except for two
instances of mplayer (as plugin) in S (sleep < 20s) state.

The dmesg buffer filtered through uniq:
WARNING pid 1153 (Xorg): ioctl sign-extension ioctl ffffffffc010644d
WARNING pid 1153 (Xorg): ioctl sign-extension ioctl ffffffff80086442
info: [drm] Num pipes: 1
WARNING pid 1153 (Xorg): ioctl sign-extension ioctl ffffffff80106459
WARNING pid 1153 (Xorg): ioctl sign-extension ioctl ffffffff80086414
WARNING pid 1153 (Xorg): ioctl sign-extension ioctl ffffffff80786440
WARNING pid 1153 (Xorg): ioctl sign-extension ioctl ffffffff80106439
WARNING pid 1153 (Xorg): ioctl sign-extension ioctl ffffffffc0086421
WARNING pid 1153 (Xorg): ioctl sign-extension ioctl ffffffffc0106426
WARNING pid 1153 (Xorg): ioctl sign-extension ioctl ffffffff8008642b

/var/log/messages also shows
> kernel: linux_sys_futex: unknown op 129
after the freeze.  Xorg still ran about 30 minutes after the freeze, I
think I closed the lid at that time (which normally means that the
backlight goes off).

Setting hw.dri.0.debug to 1 right now doesn't show anything.
--
http://www.rene-ladan.nl/

GPG fingerprint = E738 5471 D185 7013 0EE0 4FC8 3C1D 6F83 12E1 84F6
(subkeys.pgp.net)