[CFT] drm updates

Paul B. Mahol onemda at gmail.com
Sun Aug 24 10:54:24 UTC 2008

On 8/24/08, Robert Noland <rnoland at freebsd.org> wrote:
> I've uploaded a final patch set to:
>
> http://people.freebsd.org/~rnoland
>
> I have committed this version to -CURRENT, but patches are available for
> RELENG_7 as well.
>
> This version mostly just fixes a long standing memory leak.
>
> All of the reports for radeon have been good.  I'm still seeing a few
> odd things with Intel though.  The most severe issue is on my 965gm.
> After restarting X, it will hang in a way that I have never seen
> before...  The small amount of evidence that I have been able to collect
> suggests that this may be due to mesa trashing the hardware.  I've spent
> a couple of days trying to figure out exactly what could be wrong.  This
> morning I rebuilt my kernel with a stock drm from src and I got exactly
> the same hang.  Since this update does help lots of people and doesn't
> seem to make things worse than they were to begin with, I went ahead and
> committed it.
>
> I was incorrect about the patch to libdrm... It isn't needed in 2.3.1
> and it is already committed upstream.  I'll commit that update to ports
> soon also.  It, along with a recent xf86-video-* are needed to enable
> the new vblank behavior, which will disable vblank interrupts if there
> are no active consumers.
>
> robert.

Do I need to update some ports? because with kernel from HEAD I have
encountered problems when drm is loaded (agp + drm + i915)
astro/stellarium caused deadlock, only mouse pointer could move, if I did not
started it, system will panic anyway after some time. I did not yet tested
vty switching,....

related hardware:

hostb0 at pci0:0:0:0:      class=0x060000 card=0x30a2103c chip=0x27a08086 rev=0x03
hdr=0x00
    vendor     = 'Intel Corporation'
    device     = '955XM/945GM/PM/GMS/940GML Express Processor to DRAM
Controller'
    class      = bridge
    subclass   = HOST-PCI
vgapci0 at pci0:0:2:0:     class=0x030000 card=0x30a2103c chip=0x27a28086
rev=0x03 hdr=0x00
    vendor     = 'Intel Corporation'
    device     = 'Mobile 945GM/GU Express Integrated Graphics Controller'
    class      = display
    subclass   = VGA
vgapci1 at pci0:0:2:1:     class=0x038000 card=0x30a2103c chip=0x27a68086
rev=0x03 hdr=0x00
    vendor     = 'Intel Corporation'
    device     = 'Mobile 945GM/GU Express Integrated Graphics Controller'
    class      = display

also if Xorg is never started, trying to unload agp.ko
(after unloading i915.ko and drm.ko) module will cause panic.