xorg-7.3 and swapped CTRL_L and Caps_Lock

Kevin Oberman oberman at es.net
Sun Sep 16 14:24:14 PDT 2007

> Date: Sun, 16 Sep 2007 13:37:47 +0100
> From: Florent Thoumie <flz at xbsd.org>
>
> Kevin Oberman wrote:
> > I run with the Caps Lock and Left Control keys swapped. I also run Gnome
> > which has a systems preference to set this. It worked fine until I
> > updated to xorg-7.3 and now, when the session starts, they are not
> > swapped and xemacs complains about improper keyboard configuration.
> >
> > If I bring up the setup for the keyboard, it claims that the swap is
> > selected and, after exiting the setup window, they almost are. The only
> > remaining problem is that I have to press the ALT before I press CTRL to
> > have the combination accepted. If I press them together, the system only
> > sees the CTRL. (Note: I probably tend to hit CTRL slightly before ALT
> > when pressing them together.)
> >
> > I suppose it's an interaction between xorg and xklavier, but it was fine
> > prior to the upgrade to xorg.
>
> Have you tried manually updating libxklavier to 3.3.

Yes. No improvement in initial behavior and the configuration tool
would crash on startup. I suspect that other things also need to be
updated along with libxklavier.

In any case, Kostik Belousov has reported half of the problem with fvwm2
which removes libxklavier from the equation for the CTRL-ALT
combo. Looks like something in xorg.

I might also mention that the LEDs for Caps and numlock don't work in
7.3, either. I don't know if this is related, but it's annoying and
probably in the same area of te code. This has been mentioned in
current, but I have only seen it in X They work OK in consoles. It's
unclear how many of the reports in current have been in X, but I suspect
that they all were.
--
R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer
Energy Sciences Network (ESnet)