weird KDE desktop after upgrade to 7.3

Per olof Ljungmark peo at intersonic.se
Sun Sep 16 12:31:46 PDT 2007

Hi,

Today I first updated the system (-CURRENT), then all ports. Afterwards
I got an interesting KDE desktop where KDE thinks max resolution is
1024x768 and xorg rightly thinks it is 1600x1200. Video outside the
smaller frame gets garbled.

I've posted a screenshot here:
http://www.inter-sonic.com/tmp/snapshot1.png

Configure Desktop/Display/Size in KDE only shows up to 1024x768.
The tricky part here is that the cpu is a Thinkpad T42 and the built in
screen is 1024x768 but I have an external monitor that does 1600x1200.

No /etc/X11/xorg.conf because I would really like to have the screens
auto detected. I removed the .kde directory and all else I could find
from previous configs.

Anyone out there who knows how to convince KDE to use the external
monitor resolution without having to be explicit in xorg.conf?

Thanks a lot!

Per olof