7.3 ignores xorg.conf

Warren Block wblock at wonkity.com
Sun Nov 18 07:00:04 PST 2007

On Sun, 18 Nov 2007, Ihsan Dogan wrote:

> on 17.11.2007 17:39 Warren Block said the following:
>
>>> My xorg.conf:
>>> http://ihsan.dogan.ch/files/Xorg-7.3/xorg.conf
>> That's an old-style xorg.conf, but both the mga and radeon drivers are
>> xrandr-1.2.  Some of the changes needing to be made are described here:
>
> I've created with Xorg -configure a new configuration and placed it in
> /etc/X11. --> http://ihsan.dogan.ch/files/Xorg-7.3/xorg.conf

Still has lots of old stuff in it.  Xorg -configure doesn't produce
xrandr-1.2 configurations.  You can use them for a starting point, but
much has to be deleted or changed.

>> http://wiki.debian.org/XStrikeForce/HowToRandR12
>
> Thank you. That was really helpful. I'm wondering why there is no good
> documentation at x.org.

Probably because there are more programmers than writers, and much of
this stuff is brand new and still changing.

>> Note particularly the suggestions on removing HorizSync, VertRefresh,
>> and ModeLines from the Monitor section.
>>
>> For a single monitor, I'd set the virtual screen size to the same size
>> as the monitor:
>>
>> Section "Screen"
>>         Identifier "Screen0"
>>         Device     "Card0"
>>         Monitor    "Monitor0"
>>         SubSection "Display"
>>                 Virtual    1280 1024
>>         EndSubSection
>> EndSection
>
> With the new configuration,

Which new configuration?  The file you show has still has an incorrect
Screen section.

> With the HorizSync and the the VerRefresh options in the xorg.conf, I
> was able to change to 1280x1024 with xrandr.

Maybe a very old monitor that doesn't do DDC?  No monitor vendor or name
was detected, either.  See the man page for xorg.conf for the
PreferredMode option, too.

> I've added then the Virtual option to the Screen section:

You should also remove everything except what has been suggested.  The
additional Viewport and Depth lines could cause problems (Depth
certainly might, if DefaultDepth doesn't default to 24).

> Section "Screen"
>        Identifier "Screen0"
>        Device     "Card0"
>        Monitor    "Monitor0"
>        SubSection "Display"
>                Viewport   0 0
>                Depth     24
>                Virtual   1280 1024
>        EndSubSection
> EndSection
>
> Unfortunately, that doesn't work. If that would work, I would be totally
> happy.

What follows is my suggestion for xorg.conf, all of it.  If it still
doesn't want to start at 1280x1024, you could remove the
HorizSync/VertRefresh from the Monitor section and enable the
PreferredMode option.  Or try them together.

Section "ServerLayout"
         Identifier     "xrandr"
         Screen      0  "Screen0" 0 0
         InputDevice    "Mouse0" "CorePointer"
EndSection

Section "Files"
         RgbPath      "/usr/local/share/X11/rgb"
         ModulePath   "/usr/local/lib/xorg/modules"
EndSection

Section "DRI"
         Mode  0666
EndSection

Section "Extensions"
         Option "Composite" "Disable"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
         Identifier  "Keyboard0"
         Driver      "kbd"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
         Identifier  "Mouse0"
         Driver      "mouse"
         Option      "Protocol" "auto"
         Option      "Device" "/dev/sysmouse"
         Option      "ZAxisMapping" "4 5 6 7"
EndSection

Section "Monitor"
         Identifier   "Monitor0"
         VendorName   "Monitor Vendor"
         ModelName    "Monitor Model"
         HorizSync    31.5 - 92.0
         VertRefresh  50.0 - 100.0
         # Option       "PreferredMode" "1280x1024"
EndSection

Section "Device"
         Identifier  "Card0"
         Driver      "ati"