Stuck compiling xf86ScanPci?

Ivan Voras ivoras at fer.hr
Fri May 25 20:23:02 UTC 2007

Dejan Lesjak wrote:
> On Friday 25 May 2007 20:18:49 Ivan Voras wrote:
>> I have a weird problem compiling xorg-server on a recent 7-current on
>> i386 with gcc 4.2: the process is stuck compiling xf86ScanPci.c, the
>> compiler is just doing nothing, consuming more and more memory.

> Yes, it's been reported on -stable@ as well IIRC. It will eventually compile
> the file though, assuming you don't run out of memory.

Update: I've removed everything from /usr/local (so it's empty) and
tried again, and this time it passed (without eating memory).

There were some unusual libraries in /usr/local/lib/compat, like
libthr.so (sorry, don't have the whole list) which I noticed because
they were marked schg and I had to clear the flag before deleting them.
I think this might have influenced the compiler because I had the same
situation before - old compat libraries in /usr/local/lib/compat getting
pulled in for a newly built port (which I believe is a serious error but
haven't explored further).