Future of XFree86

Mark Linimon linimon at lonesome.com
Fri May 25 19:51:51 UTC 2007

The consensus from portmgr is that XFree86 needs a dedicated, full-time
maintainer to stay in the tree (lesi@ is no longer going to be looking
after it, after many hours of keeping it going).

We're actually hoping no one will step up and volunteer to do so :-)
It would make the infrastructure much easier to be able to take out all
the conditional code.  As well, I doubt anyone has tried to keep up with
it in the post-xorg7.2 world.

pointyhat has not been building the packages for many, many, months
because it sees xorg as the default X implementation.

So, if someone wants to keep it, they should speak up NOW rather than
later; if someone doesn't soon, I'll lobby to get rid of it.

mcl