nvidia-driver won't build with 6.2-STABLE-200705 and xorg 7.2

Florent Thoumie flz at FreeBSD.org
Thu May 24 12:07:13 UTC 2007

jeffc at supranet.net wrote:
> Quoting Olivier Smedts <olivier at gid0.org>:
>
>> ----- jeffc at supranet.net wrote:
>>> The May snapshot FreeBSD 6.2-STABLE-200705 appropriately has no xorg,
>>> but after
>>> a portsnap fetch, pkg_add -r xorg successfully (it runs) installed
>>> xorg 7..2.
>>> However trying to build nvidia-driver from ports fails with:
>>>
>>> [...]
>>> ===> x11 (install)
>>> ===> x11/driver (install)
>>> install: /usr/X11R6/lib/modules/drivers: No such file or directory
>>> *** Error code 71
>> If you "mkdir -p /usr/X11R6/lib/modules/drivers", then install should work.
>> But the question is "why hasn't this directory been created ?". Maybe you
>> didn't have the "x11/xorg" metaport installed before installing nvidia-driver
>> ?
>
> I installed xorg using pkg_add -r.  Maybe that was my mistake and I should use
> ports instead?

No, that shouldn't make any difference.

Make sure you have the latest revision of the port's Makefile (1.59), it
should contain:

pre-install:
        ${MKDIR} ${PREFIX}/${MODULESDIR}/drivers

--
Florent Thoumie
flz at FreeBSD.org