X.org 7.2 ports merged into the FreeBSD Ports Tree

Parv parv at pair.com
Sun May 20 06:43:33 UTC 2007

in message <20070519223641.GE1164 at turion.vk2pj.dyndns.org>, wrote
Peter Jeremy thusly...

> On 2007-May-19 15:10:07 -0700, Doug Barton <dougb at FreeBSD.org>
> wrote:
> > Peter Jeremy wrote:
> >
> >> I presume there will be followup commits at some stage to fix
> >> src/etc/defaults/rc.conf src/etc/defaults/periodic.conf and
> >> src/etc/login.conf
> If you upgrade to xorg 7.2 but don't cleanup the /etc files then
> rc.d and periodic scripts are processe twice.  (I was getting
> warned about ports with security problems twice).

I am using FreeBSD 6.  I haven't tried xorg 7.2 port(s) yet, but
recently did merge /usr/X11R6 to /usr/local (programs reinstalled,
made link to X11R6 to local, and such).  On a reboot after that,
scripts indeed ran twice.  That was very annoying. and mildly
surprising, as the scripts are currently dumb enough not to realize
that /usr/X11R6 is a symbolic link to /usr/local.

That was fixed by, in /etc/rc.conf, ...

  local_startup="/usr/local/etc/rc.d"
  local_periodic="/usr/local/etc/periodic"

  - Parv