X.org 7.2 ports merged into the FreeBSD Ports Tree

Doug Barton dougb at FreeBSD.org
Sat May 19 23:06:34 UTC 2007

Peter Jeremy wrote:
> On 2007-May-19 15:10:07 -0700, Doug Barton <dougb at FreeBSD.org> wrote:
>> Peter Jeremy wrote:
>>
>>> I presume there will be followup commits at some stage to fix
>>> src/etc/defaults/rc.conf src/etc/defaults/periodic.conf and
>>> src/etc/login.conf
>> I presume that by "fix" you mean "remove X11R6 related stuff."
>
> Yes.
>
>> My vote (as
>> someone deeply interested in /etc and especially rc.d related issues) would
>> be that it be changed in 7-current soonish, and not changed in RELENG_6 at
>> all. Given that by default there will be /usr/X11R6 symlinks for the
>> foreseeable future, I don't see any harm in leaving the status quo as is in
>> RELENG_6, and I see potential POLA violations if we don't.
>
> There are POLA violations whatever is done:
>
> If X11R6 references are removed then anyone who hasn't upgraded to xorg
> 7.2 will lose any X-related startup/libs/manpages/...
>
> If you upgrade to xorg 7.2 but don't cleanup the /etc files then rc.d
> and periodic scripts are processe twice.  (I was getting warned about
> ports with security problems twice).

I don't have the X11R6 symlink, so that one hadn't bitten me yet. That
should be fixed in rc.subr in find_local_scripts_new() so that it
doesn't add a script to the list that's already there. That's pretty
easily done, and could/should be MFC'ed.

Doug