how to start Beryl??

Adam K Kirchhoff adamk at voicenet.com
Sun Jun 10 00:49:04 UTC 2007

On Saturday 09 June 2007 19:43:59 Tsu-Fan Cheng wrote:
> Hi,
>    this is a little dumb, but I can't get beryl to start.. :(
>    I am running freebsd 6.2 and upgraded xorg to 7.2 a while ago,
>    I googled some and read/modified some files, such as rc.conf, xorg.conf,
> but not gnome2 (is this the problem??). I thought beryl-manager is a window
> manager so I added "exec /usr/local/bin/beryl-manager" in my .xinitrc file.
> Launch "startx" but nothing. xorg.log didn't complain anything. I guess I
> miss something here...
>
> can someone teach me how to run beryl from a more introductory point of
> view?? Thank you for your help.

You really should use beryl from within a desktop environment, such as gnome,
kde, or xfce4.  To do so, you'll add beryl-manager to your DE's session and
then use the icon in the panel to switch to beryl from whatever other window
manager you are using (kwin, xfwm4, metacity, etc.).  The next time
beryl-manager starts, it should automatically switch to whatever window
manager you previously selected (typically beryl).

Adam