RADEON/AIGLX/DRM Problem

vehemens vehemens at verizon.net
Thu Jul 26 06:13:56 UTC 2007

On Wednesday 25 July 2007 07:00:51 pm Ganbold wrote:
> I tried this patch. Now X works with AIGLX enabled. Of course beryl
> works with white screen :)
> However when I try to run googleearth, it crashes X. When I kill beryl,
> X crashes too.

Assuming that you have AIGLX enabled in your xorg.conf, did you reboot before
launching X with beryl?

If not, try after a reboot and see if you still get a white screen on the
first try as there seems to be a few more bugs in the ATI code with xserver
restarts.

If that doesn't do it, then it's probably a bug that got fixed by my using the
the development branch of 1) the ati driver, 2) drm driver, 3) xserver.  My
ati and drm drivers have some custom patches as well.

Here the path I'm going to recommend if your willing:

1) Upgrade your ati driver to 6.6.192 then consider patching to match the
development branch.  I can send you my patches which also has a patch to the
RADEONRestoreAccelState function which may be required for stability.

2) Update the drm driver to match the development branch.  I can send you my
port which also has patches required to prevent kernel hangs.

3) Update the xserver to the development branch and mesa 7.0.  Also requires
updating the keyboard and mouse drivers as well as the pixman port.  I can
send these to you as well.