OT: solution for Beryl/Compiz on i945GM [try it]

sebosik at demax.sk sebosik at demax.sk
Wed Jul 18 14:57:21 UTC 2007

Hi all

I`ve played with compiz (and beryl) last week to solve issue regarding to
white window bug on intel 945GM graphics. I`ve found required patches,
applied them against xorg-server sources (from ports collection) and
VIOLA, everything works like a charm :-).

What you need are some patches:
01-no-move-damage.patch
02-dont-backfill-bg-none.patch
05-offscreen-pixmaps.patch
xorg-server-1.2.0-GLCore-track-visuals.patch

download first three items from here:
 http://sources.gentoo.org/viewcvs.py/gentoo-x86/x11-base/xorg-server/files/

GLcore patch location:
 http://cvs.archlinux.org/cgi-bin/viewcvs.cgi/x11/xorg-server/?cvsroot=Current&only_with_tag=CURRENT

Cook recipe:
1, cd /usr/ports/x11-servers/xorg-server
2, make extract && make patch
3, apply downloaded patches against sources of xorg
  - cd work/xorg-server-1.2.0
  - apply all patches with: patch -p0 < /directory/location/filename.patch

4, make install clean (on my lappie it took about 2 minutes)
5, set in your ~/.xinitrc variable on first line: LIBGL_ALWAYS_INDIRECT=1
6, (as I`m KDE user) type "compiz gconf &" before startkde in .xinitrc

My .xinitrc looks like this:

## COMPIZ: window manager + window decorations
#
LIBGL_ALWAYS_INDIRECT=1
compiz gconf &
gtk-window-manager &