Xorg 7.2 beryl problem on i945GM

Vince jhary at unsane.co.uk
Mon Jul 16 11:54:16 UTC 2007

Ganbold wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Sorry, posted to wrong list before.
>
> I'm having trouble running beryl on laptop with 945GM card. I have
> current machine:
>
> devil# uname -an
> FreeBSD devil.micom.mng.net 7.0-CURRENT FreeBSD 7.0-CURRENT #1: Tue Jul
> 10 10:44:42 ULAT 2007
> root at devil.micom.mng.net:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/DEVIL  i386
> devil#
>
> Xorg is updated to 7.2.
>
> Now when I try to run beryl-manager a window becomes a white screen and
> I can't do anything, although mouse moves.
> I tried to look at http://wiki.freebsd.org/ModularXorg/, but couldn't
> find anything.
> Where can I find instructions/howto about running Xorg+beryl/compiz on
> FreeBSD (with i945GM graphics)?

Hi Ganbold,
	I have a i945GM chipset in my laptop and have beryl running with only
minor issues ;)
	My rather messy xorg.conf is available at
http://unsane.co.uk/~jhary/xorg.conf

I use the the 915resolution port with the following options in rc.conf
i915resolution_enable="YES"
i915resolution_modes="5c"
i915resolution_width="1440"
i915resolution_height="900"

FreeBSD prawn.unsane.co.uk 7.0-CURRENT FreeBSD 7.0-CURRENT #4: Fri Jul
13 11:39:09 BST 2007
toor at prawn.unsane.co.uk:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/PRAWN7ULE  i386

I have had issues in the past but they seem to have mainly cleared.
emerald crashes from time to time (I think that may have been an issue
with me upgradeing my ports though,) but otherwise beryl seems pretty
stable for me. I run beryl with xfce4. All I did was install the beryl
(and related) port(s) then ran beryl from a xterm in xfce4, after which
xfce4 took care of having beryl as the windows manager.
	Hope this helps somehow.

Vince