max resolution with vesa driver on amd64 system running FreeBSD 6.2

Dino Vliet dino_vliet at yahoo.com
Sat Jul 14 09:47:51 UTC 2007

Hi folks,

I'm having problems with my monitor on freebsd. The vesa driver uses 1024X768 while the monitor is capable of doing 1680x1050.

Observed here as well:

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/xserver-xorg-video-nv/+bug/5801

Using the nv driver is no option because it freezes my system and I have to turn the power down to start booting the system again.

Am I in a problematic situation now because:

1) Vesa isn't capable of using higher resolutions?
2) I can use NV because the driver isn't ok on my amd64 system
3) Nvidia doesn't provide a FreeBSD version of their nvidia driver on AMD64 based systems?

Brgds