State of support for Radeon X200M on FreeBSD?

Szilveszter Adam sziszi at bsd.hu
Fri Jan 12 22:46:36 PST 2007

Hello everybody,

After the recent threads about ATI support here on the list I would like
to inquire about the status of X support for the X200M on FreeBSD.

Background: I have a ThinkPad R51e with this integrated chip, and when I
tried to install 7.0-CURRENT and the 6.9 version of xorg from ports, the
radeon driver failed to work. All it did was to switch the screen into
graphics mode and then there it stayed, completely black (with
occasional blurred greenish lines in some cases) and it was not possible
to get either a working X display or a text console back. The machine
did not freeze, it was possible to use it remotely, in fact it even
reacted to keys pressed on the keboard, only the screen was unusable
until a reboot. The vesa(4) driver worked of course, but I would like to
have xvideo and 2D acceleration support if possible. (I am aware that 3D
accel does not work on these chips yet except for the fglrx driver)

Later I tried an Ubuntu live CD that came with xorg 7.1.1 and also used
the radeon driver, and the X display worked there.

So my question is: is it something that I am doing wrong, or does the
X200M really not work with the radeon driver in the xorg port that we
have now (either on RELENG_6 or HEAD) If it does not work now, is this
likely different in the new modular xorg version that is up for testing?

The X200M is rather frequently found in modern laptops, so I hope that
people have some experience...

--
Best regards:

Szilveszter ADAM