Xorg 100% CPU and Black Screen When Starting with DRI

Jason Morgan jwm-freebsd-xll at sentinelchicken.net
Sat Feb 17 17:03:51 UTC 2007

On Fri, Feb 16, 2007 at 02:00:00PM -0600, Mark Kane wrote:
> Hi everyone. I'm finishing up building a new workstation and I'm having
> some trouble getting Xorg to start up properly with DRI enabled.
>
> The basic description of the problem is that when starting Xorg up with
> DRI enabled on my ATI Radeon 9250 (PCI), the screen will go black and
> when I SSH in, I see Xorg is using up 100% CPU. Sometimes I can kill
> the Xorg process with -9 via SSH, but my monitor never returns to the
> command line so my only option is to reboot the machine via SSH.
>
> Here are some messages related to it when I do a dmesg via SSH:
>
> info: [drm] Initialized radeon 1.24.0 20060225 info:
> [drm] Setting GART location based on old memory map
> bus_dmamem_alloc failed to align memory properly.
> info: [drm] Loading R200 Microcode
> info: [drm] writeback test succeeded in 1 usecs
>
> An interesting point is that some of the time it starts up fine with
> DRI enabled, so I don't think it's a configuration issue. I'm not sure
> what's different between the attempts, but sometimes it will start up
> just fine and show direct rendering enabled with glxinfo. Then a few
> minutes later I might reboot and try again with the same exact
> configuration of everything and it will hang with a black screen and
> 100% CPU usage.
>
> When it did start up fine with DRI and I was using it for a bit though,
> the machine did randomly reboot after a few hours of use. I didn't have
> kernel dumps enabled at that time so I'm not sure what happened, but
> that doesn't seem to happen with DRI disabled.
>
> It's identified by the radeon kernel module as:
>
> drm0: <ATI Radeon RV280 9250> port 0xe000-0xe0ff mem
> 0xc0000000-0xcfffffff,0xfebf0000-0xfebfffff irq 16 at device 1.0 on
> pci1
>
> Attached is the Xorg.0.log from when DRI was enabled and it hung with
> 100% CPU/black screen and my simple configuration file I'm using to
> test now.
>
> It _seems_ to work correctly and fairly consistently with DRI disabled
> so that's what I'm doing for now.
>
> Thanks very much in advance.
>
> -Mark
> FreeBSD 6.2-STABLE [amd64]
> Xorg 6.9.0
> ATI Radeon 9250 (PCI)
>
> P.S. If the attachments don't make it through, the log and config are
> here:
>
> http://www.tntpowerhost.com/mixx941/xorg/Xorg.0.20070216.log
> http://www.tntpowerhost.com/mixx941/xorg/xorg.conf

I am currently running into the same issues with a 6.2-RELEASE box
with an nVidia FX 5600 Ultra installed. This same card worked fine in
another box (running 6.2-STABLE). I investigated and I could reliably
get Xorg to max out the CPU after trying to re-enter X a third time
between reboots. The second entry to X would also lock up the system
about 25% of the time. Xorg also seems somewhat unstable on this box
after prolonged usage. I originally thought it was the nvidia drivers
causing issues -- I've tried different versions and still can't get a
stable machine. I will post my log files as soon as I get the machine
back up and running (doing a make-world, hoping that will fix the
issue). Any hints from the community would be great.

Cheers,
Jason