Xorg on 5.4 - Any tricks?

Erik Trulsson ertr1013 at student.uu.se
Mon Dec 31 08:41:59 PST 2007

On Mon, Dec 31, 2007 at 10:41:56AM -0500, Tuc at T-B-O-H.NET wrote:

> > On Mon, Dec 31, 2007 at 09:17:02AM -0500, Tuc at T-B-O-H.NET wrote:
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > 	I wondered if anyone came up with any tricks to running
> > > Xorg on 5.4
> > >
> > > 	Xorg needs hal
> > > 	hal needs 5.5-RELEASE or later
> > > 	My laptop won't boot anything past 5.4 (Toshiba 2805-S301)
> > >

> > No, Xorg does not need hal (although the default is for Xorg to use hal.)
> > If you install Xorg via ports you can disable the hal dependency.
> >
> 	I am trying via (cd /usr/ports/x11/xorg;make install).
>
> 	Is there some individual port I need to install by itself so it
> doesn't default to hal?

The relevant port is x11-servers/xorg-server but that is automatically
installed by x11/xorg so there is no need to install it by itself.
If you have a recently updated ports tree then xorg-server uses the OPTIONS
mechanism letting you choose if you want to use sysutils/hal or not.
If you have an older ports tree you will have to specify 'WITHOUT_HAL=yes'
on the commandline when you start the make.

--
<Insert your favourite quote here.>
Erik Trulsson
ertr1013 at student.uu.se