X-related freezes

Dmitry Marakasov amdmi3 at amdmi3.ru
Fri Dec 28 08:58:13 PST 2007

Hi!

After updating 6.1->7.0 with corresponding X and nvidia-driver updates,
I started experiencing X freezes. I'll try to investigate it further,
but maybe there are people with similar problem or even the cause is
known.

First symptom was games/outerspace (2D python/pygame game) freezing
consuming 100% CPU (sometimes right after start, sometimes after 5-10
minutes of play. This didn't happen on 6.1 with the same version of
outerspace and other ports (except Xorg). I've tried to launch it
under ktrace, but freezes didn't show themselves.

Lately, I had a freeze with xmoto (3D opengl game) and even with idle
machine (with no graphic/opengl apps). Seems like process in question
starts consuming CPU violently, so even X can't redraw windows properly,
and if I'm lucky enough to switch to console, it takes forever to
login and kill the app.

I don't see a good way to investigate this problem, but I'll start with
switching to ULE scheduler, with which I should at least have other
apps more responsive.

Any suggestions?

uname -a:
FreeBSD hades.panopticon 7.0-BETA4 FreeBSD 7.0-BETA4 #0: Thu Dec 20
13:28:17 MSK 2007     root at hades.panopticon:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/HADES
i386

pkg_info:
xorg-server-1.4_3,1