Xorg meta ports bloated dependencies

Jeremy Messenger mezz7 at cox.net
Sat Dec 1 14:56:14 PST 2007

On Sat, 01 Dec 2007 15:28:59 -0600, Tim Clewlow <tim1timau at yahoo.com>
wrote:

> --- "Aryeh M. Friedman" <aryeh.friedman at gmail.com> wrote:

>> Andrei Kolu wrote:
>> > Saturday 01 December 2007 11:08:28 kirjutas Yuri Pankov:

>> > I'd like to see choices in metaport- ncurses based menus with
>> > packages we really need. It is impossible to install Xorg without
>> > metaport (anyone have done that at all?)- 300+ separate ports IIRC.
>> > After removing unnecessary ports (fonts FE) and later you may try
>> > to upgrade Xorg to newer version then package dependency would be
>> > broken...
>>
>> It is *NOT* the metaport that drags all this stuff in but
>> xorg-server.   I attempted to do slightly disconnected install (worked
>> relatively well except for when it came to installing something
>> fancier then a wm) which was install xorg-server the i/o drivers for
>> my platform and the xorg apps I wanted.
>>
>> What I found was:
>>
>> 1. xorg-server does a very bad job on fonts dependicies (it installs
>> almost no fonts)
>> 2. many xorg-apps assume they are being installed as a part of the
>> metaport and do not sufficently check their own dependicies.
>> 3. xorg and other long tool chains show some major weaknesses in the
>> ports system:
>>     a. Inconsitent overridding or lack there of the config target
>> (ports(8))
>>     b. Due to bad management of the dependancy DAG you are forced to
>> use meta ports
>>     c. Due to c there is much less orthangonality then there should be
>> between ports
>> >
>> > Or how can I tell metaport how to NOT INSTALL some crap I don't
>> > need.
>> >

> 4. On a recent upgrade after updating the ports tree, xorg got upgraded,
> and
> wrote over the top of the existing /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/xinit/xinitrc file
> - not
> a big problem as I have a number of desktop boxes setup with same xinit
> file -
> so I just copied one across - but still annoying - especially if you
> only have
> one desktop - which means you will lose any customizations to xinit -
> would be
> nice if it first created a backup/saved copy of existing xinit before
> overwriting it.

You can change the env variable of XINITRC, so create something like
/etc/X11/xinitrc then have XINITRC set to /etc/X11/xinitrc in somewhere
like /etc/profile, /etc/login.conf or else. I haven't try it, but I think
it should works.

Cheers,
Mezz

> Cheers, Tim.

FreeBSD GNOME Team  -  FreeBSD Multimedia Hat (ports, not src)
http://wiki.freebsd.org/multimedia  -  multimedia at FreeBSD.org