AIGLX, ATI/AMD Radeons and FreeBSD -current

vehemens vehemens at verizon.net
Thu Aug 30 11:23:11 PDT 2007

On Thu, Aug 30, 2007 at 10:15:20AM -0400, Coleman Kane wrote:
>I am curious what the state of AIGLX is using the ATI R300+ cards (I've
>an rv350) under FreeBSD. I have been trying to track down what work is
>being done on the problem.
>
>I see a number of references detailing that it *is* broken, but I am
>having difficulty tracking down any progress or unofficial patches to
>deal with fixing it... is there anybody who's actively working on fixing
>this problem?
>
>I found PR 112984: http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/query-pr.cgi?pr=112984
>which documents some spotty working/not working cases... all referencing
>6.2-STABLE. Is this the only progress made so far? Is there any "working
>solution" under -current (or does the -stable fix apply to -current
>too)? Does the xorg-server-snap get better results?
>
>I'm hoping that someone else has already trudged through here and can
>help shortcut what may be a drawn-out compile/test/debug/recompile cycle...

I modified a number of packages before I could run AIGLX with BERYL on a RV350
based card and -current.  Not to happy about the response time on my XP 2100
however.

Updating the DRM driver was one of the changes, but it doesn't compile on a
6.2 system.  Also switched to the 6.6.193 ATI driver, and updated the xserver
and a number of libraries.

I would suggest waiting until 7.3 comes out unless you have an extra system
and spare time.