Upgrading X Issue

Peter Jeremy peterjeremy at optushome.com.au
Fri Aug 10 11:47:13 UTC 2007

On 2007-Aug-09 12:32:44 -0700, Frank Griffith <glassdude45 at yahoo.com> wrote:

>Sorry to be such a pain...I guess my lack of knowledge on the subject
>leaves me knowing just enough to be dangerous.

I think I might agree with you there.  I think you need to do
some background reading on X but I'm not sure of the best
place to find some.  There is some information in the FreeBSD
Handbook (the rest of the chapter you were given previously) but
I think you will need to look further afield as well.

>When I build a new server and run Xorg -configure and then run
>startx, I get three white windows with green frames.

Each of the white windows is an xterm and the reference to green
frames makes me think you are running twm.

>-configure and then ran startx. I then got a complete white screenon
>the monitor and could see the mouse moving around but no little
>white/green windows and I couldn't type anything to launch an
>application.

I presume that "complete white screen" means it didn't have the
standard black-and-white X11 stipple.  A friend got that as well
and it turned out that his video chipset had somehow gotten itself
into a funny state and the system needed rebooting.  Does a
reboot help?

>I must admit that once upon a time about 2 years ago, I did a pkg_add
>-r kde and the damn thing ran for almost 72 hours compiling stuff

kde is _big_.  Even on a fast system it seems to take several days.

If rebooting doesn't help, could you please make your xorg.conf
and /var/log/Xorg.0.log available somewhere for our perusal.

--
Peter Jeremy