ports/109497: x11-servers/xorg-fontserver rc.d/xfs.sh script missing "-user"

Florent Thoumie flz at FreeBSD.org
Wed Apr 18 10:57:10 UTC 2007

Dejan Lesjak wrote:
> On Wednesday 18 of April 2007, Stefan `Sec` Zehl wrote:

>>> This is not what I said, please re-read my message.
>> Ok. I did.
>>
>> As far as I can tell, your message had two points.
>>
>> 1: Others run it as root.
>> 2: I can run it as non-root if I want to by using xfs_flags=...
>>
>> If that isn't what you said, please rephrase, as I must have
>> misunderstood you. Please be patient, as english is not my native
>> language. Therefore let me also rephrase my last answer.
>>
>> First regarding your two points:
>>
>> re 1:
>> - I'm not asking to change the default. So what other OSs run it as is
>>   not relevant.
>>
>> re 2:
>> - If you still want to reject the patch I sent, I can live with it as
>>   users searching for it will hopefully find the workaround documented
>>   in this PR.
>>
>> My additional points I was trying to make:
>>
>> - If someone currently sets "xfs_user=" in rc.conf, this makes xfs fail
>>   silently. I think it would be great if it instead would just work.
>
> It certainly should not fail silently if someone has unsupported option in
> rc.conf. If this is the case it should be fixed. But note that we are rather
> busy trying to get xorg 7.2 into ports so if you could try the script again
> after the upgrade and if it fails bring it up again then, that would be
> lovely.
>
>> - It is only two lines, so no bloat, and it won't hurt anyone.
>
> It's not so much the number of lines - it's rather that it seems this option
> is not that commonly used and that there already is a mechanism to do that
> with existing options (namely xfs_flags).
>
>> Hope that clears it up,
>
> Well, it rather confuses me :-) I didn't expect the thing to fail if you set
> some option that the script does not even look at, but yes, it does clear up
> your problem.

Well I haven't checked for xfs case but if it needs root privileges at
startup to drop them later then xfs_user indeed won't work, cause it
uses 'su'.

I tend to think that *_flags is there because we can't support any
possible option. Anyway, I don't know if it indeed fails silently but
I'll fix it in git so that it'll work after the merge.

--
Florent Thoumie
flz at FreeBSD.org